What is a student loan?
A student loan is a type of loan used to pay for college tuition fees and/or other school expenses. Like other loans, the borrowed amount from student loans (or educational loans) is repaid over an agreed period of time with the addition of interest.
What are the benefits of getting a student loan?
Whether you’re an undergraduate, postgraduate or a guarantor, we can help you. Here are some benefits of applying for a Bukas student loan:
- Tuition Installments as low as P3,025 per month* - Manage your finances better when you pay your tuition in 12 low monthly repayments compared to quarterly or semestral payments.
- As low as 1.5% interest per month - Take advantage of low monthly interest rates versus banks and other financial institutions.
- Easy and convenient online application - No need to go outside the house. Simply fill-out the application form, take photos of your documents and submit everything on your mobile phone.
- Fast processing - Submit your complete application and get feedback from our Assessment team in 3 to 5 business days. Once approved, we pay the school directly in 1 to 2 business days.
*based on average tuition loan amount of P30,000 at 1.5% interest per month with 3% origination fee payable in 12 monthly repayments.
Who can apply for a student loan?
To qualify for a student loan, you must:
- Be a Filipino citizen
- Have a guarantor or guardian that is at least 21 years old
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student in one of Bukas’ partner schools (FEU, JRU, LPU and Mapua).
How to apply and get a student loan?
Applying is fast and easy. You can get the full loan amount in 5 to 7 business days. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below.
- Register or log in to your account to fill-out the Student Loan application form
- Once you submit your completed application form and required documents, our Credit Assessment team will review your application and call you in 1 to 2 business days. Make sure you and your guarantor are ready to take the call.
- Approval usually takes 1 business day. Once approved, you should immediately get an email of the loan contract/agreement. Review the contract thoroughly, if you agree to all the terms and conditions, sign it and send it back.
- Once we receive the signed contract, we directly pay the total loan amount to the school. It should reflect on your school’s account in 2 to 3 business days.
- You’re good to go and your first repayment will be 30 days after the loan approval (refer to Appendix B of your loan contract for the official repayment schedule).
Having problems with the application process? Check out our Help Center for some guidance or chat with us!
What are the required documents?
To apply, you only need to prepare the following documents:
- School ID
- Tuition Assessment or School Billing
To help our Assessment team give you a better credit rating (and potentially a higher loan amount), you have the option to submit the following documents:
- One (1) valid ID.
- One (1) document with proof of residence (must include guarantor’s full name and residency).
- One (1) document with proof of income.
Need more help? Check out the list of valid documents for your loan application.
How much can I loan?
We can cover up to 100% of your school tuition**. This includes any amount included in your school assessment or school billing form.
If you have any unpaid balances from your previous semester, we can also cover your previous balance plus your school tuition for the upcoming semester pending approval from our Credit Assessment team. On the other hand, if you’ve already paid a down payment for the current semester, we can also cover the remaining balance of your tuition.
As a general rule, we recommend asking for a loan amount that you can confidently repay in 12 monthly payments.
**Pending the review of our Assessment team
What are the fees included in the student loan?
Once the student loan is approved, we charge a one-time 3% origination fee. In addition, we charge 1.5% interest on the monthly payment.
For example, a loan amount of P30,000 will have the following fees:
- 3% origination fee: P30,000 x 3% = P900
- 1.5% monthly interest x 12 months: P30,000 x 1.5% x 12 months = P450 x 12 months = P5400
Therefore, total monthly repayment for 12 months will be:
= (P30,000 + P900 +P5,400) / 12 months
= P36,300 / 12 = P3,025 will be billed to you monthly for 12 months.
How much is the monthly repayment for my student loan?
Our student loans are usually payable in 12 months. Your monthly repayments will depend on the loan amount requested but you may also check Appendix B of your loan contract for the exact amount and monthly due date.
What happens if I'm late in paying for my monthly repayment?
We will charge an additional 5% late fee for the month that you are late.